Completed: 9. Donate Blood
I’m so excited! I donated blood for the first time! I was a little afraid of fainting, but I’m happy to say that I remained conscious the entire time.
Things I learned:
- You can’t donate blood if you are a gay man and have had sex with a man anytime after 1977. This is crazy and apparently a topic of contention. Some even argue it’s a civil rights issue.
- One of the workers told us that one lady pooped on the table while donating blood.
- From the Red Cross site, “57 percent of the Latino population is type O, the blood type in greatest demand. That share is 51 percent for African Americans, and only about 45 percent for white Caucasians. As certain population groups continue to increase, so does the need for type O blood. It is critical that more Latino and African American donors, give blood regularly to ensure that patient needs can be met.”
- My blood may go to a few patients and may treat anemia resulting from, kidney failure, chemotherapy regimens, gastrointestinal bleeding or blood loss due to trauma or surgery.
- Though it was a bit uncomfortable, the most painful part of the experience was ripping off the taped gauze.
I’m looking forward to learning my blood type, becoming a regular donor, and I hope you too will considering making a blood donation.