As I’ve mentioned before, living in the D.C. area is fantastic. I’ve lived in the area since I was 7 and there are still places I’ve never been. There’s so much history and hidden gems.
I crossed this goal off on quite the gorgeous day. Do you see that blue sky?!?! Some fun facts about the Capitol Columns:
- The National Capitol Columns are in the National Arboretum
- The columns were originally in the East Portico of the Capitol
- They were quarried from sandstone near Aquia Creek in Virginia
- The dome of the Capitol building ended up being too large compared to the pillars, so they made new ones and discarded these ones
- These columns served as the backdrop for many presidential inaugurations, including Lincoln’s.
- Amazing parking at the Arboretum